This week I watched my government scare itself into passing a bill that we as citizens are clearly against, and I believe we're all left asking the same question: If they (Freddie, Fannie, and the rest) got themselves into this mess, why do we have to get them out?!? I'm also questioning how much this will actually help me and the people around me, and whether it was actually meant to help me in the first place.
Consider this: the bill started out as a 3 page, $700B "rescue" plan. We were told it would majorly effect loans and it would be very important to pass this bill; it didn't make it out of the House. Next, the bill went back to the Senate, where it received some of it's not so flavorful "sweeteners," a few tax cuts for oil companies, tax cuts on rum, wooden arrows, and incentives for Hollywood to make movies in the US instead of abroad. Simultaneously, we were practically threatened through the media, being told that failure of this bill meant we would lose our homes, small business would go under for lack of business loans, banks would go under and, basically, the entire country would financially implode!! In the meantime our 3 page, $700B bailout bill was transformed into a 1000+ page catastrophe with almost $1 billion in extra spending!!
Well, the second time around (yesterday) the bill has been passed, and we're all left to wonder, if this is supposed to help the American people, how come our opinion didn't count?
The last thing on my mind: when did my government decide it was easier to scare the American people into doing it's bidding than it was to give us the facts and let us think for ourselves?
poverty of spirit
13 years ago


Hi Tangie... here is a quick response to your comment on my blog... and by the way... I am 100% in agreement with you on this post for the same reasons and even a few more...
ReplyDeleteTangie,
My choice to vote for McCain has to do with what is listed here. If you read closely, they have nothing to do with who Obama is (just your ordinary leftist politician). The reasons have to do with what the media has pumped up Obama to be.
I don't like John McCain or Barack Obama. As a Libertarian/conservative, I don't see how either of them will help make this country better leaving me unable to make the decision based on issues. I really don't see much of a difference between the two to be honest about it since the issues that are most important to me are never talked about. And, neither will address these issues while in office. So what do I have left to make a decision based on if I can't make it on issues? Well, seeing as the presidential race has become a glorified reality TV show, I have to root for my actor. The reasons listed above indicated why John McCain is my "survivor."
And, by the way, I still stand my my contention that there is no poverty in America if the whole world is taken into account. If you want to see poverty, go to Africa, Southeast Asia, most of central and south america. THOSE are the people that really have it bad and therefore, those are the people who are going to get my charity dollars. I also don't understand how you make the connection between my statement on poverty and my "coming down" on elitists. Hopefully, someday I will be an elitist, but that day is not today. When I am, you can be sure that I'll be asking for your vote.
So, in the end, I have put considerable thought into the decision as I imagine you have. The issues that are important to you are supported by Barack Obama and that is fine with me.